Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Intentional Living

How's my mental health today?

Going for a walk in the sunshine yesterday certainly helped.

I began the day with the decision to be more deliberate and disciplined in my day-to-day activity. Hopefully that will help me get more things done.

The questions about my gifts and talents (see yesterday's post) still remain. They will be easier to answer as I complete the stack of unfinished projects on my desk. Finishing things I started will also help my mental health.

As far back as I can remember I have always been an ideas/big picture person. Visionary? Perhaps. Some might tell you that I'm a dreamer, others will say that I get caught up in grandiose delusions. Whatever the truth is, the bottom line is that I have a very strong dislike for the drudgery of taking care of details. I can do it if I have to, but it's a challenge for me to sit down to the task. I'd rather come up with new ideas, explore them, and sometimes even get a new project started.

Now the time has come to clean up little details. At the beginning of this year I recorded my goals for 2012 and they include finishing up the 2 largest projects that have been waiting for my attention for some years now. One is a time consuming, unimaginative task of just doing it. The other involves research, organizing materials, and writing. Completion of these projects may even help me answer the question of what to do with my writing.

The discipline of applying myself to tasks and seeing them through to the end are a part of what I have to do to stabilize and improve my mental health.

Regular exercise, eating well, vitamins, meeting and talking to others, keeping my brain active by reading things that build my knowledge, practicing spiritual disciplines that enhance my faith life,and proper rest are all things that will also help my mental health.

I just have to do them. Every day. Deliberately and thoughtfully - knowing their purpose and benefit.

I have to overcome my distaste for regimen and practice intentional living.

My biggest challenge? Doing all this without getting all stressed out over it and not overdoing things. Keeping a healthy balance in my life is critical.

God, I need your help here!

“Many of life's circumstances are created by three basic choices: 
the disciplines you choose to keep, the people you choose to be with; 
and, the laws you choose to obey” ~ Charles Millhuff

1 comment:

  1. Boy, does this post ever resonate with me! I am in the process of building up a morning routine, to help me do the things I need to do. I am trying to change my thinking on the word routine. I currently think it's a bad thing. Turns out, though, I fare much better if I have a routine. That's life for you. :)

    I am also the same with ideas and details. I sometimes think if I won the lottery, I could hire someone else to take care of the details and I could just come up with ideas. Guess I better get a plan B.

    L.

    ReplyDelete