Monday, February 6, 2012

Occupy SuperBowl XLVI

How's my mental health today?

OK at this point - but I didn't sleep well last night. I'll have to pay attention to that. Too many consecutive nights of poor sleep can become a problem.

I've been thinking about other things - things that are going on in our city; in our country; in our world.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Am I to ignore the pain, the lawlessness, the darkness of what I hear, see, and read about?

How do I respond to a 15 year old pulling a gun and robbing a woman of her car in the middle of the day at one of the busiest malls in our city?

What about a 23 year old male walking through a downtown mall carrying a sawed-off rifle under his coat?

Last Friday newspapers reported another young woman (15 yrs old) had been missing since January 31st. Why? Why is it that so many of the reported missing young females are aboriginal?

Yesterday I watched a mostly tedious football game that was the central point of a national orgy of excesses in the USA. Why is our culture so enamored with gladiatorial spectacles and their sideshows that cost hundreds of millions of dollars while so many people in our communities and throughout the world are suffering poverty, hunger, homelessness, sickness, warfare, violence, etc? If the occupy movement is protesting the wealth and excesses of the few in the face of the poverty of the many, why was there no "Occupy SuperBowl XLVI"?

With the chaos, the social injustices, the pain and suffering in the world around us today I wonder: what kind of world will my children have to deal with? What about my future grandchildren?

Can things get better or will they only get worse?

How do I make a difference? Can I make a difference?

I have somehow arrived back at the theme of "where's God in the midst of calamity?"  that I saw in the movie The Tree of Life several weeks ago.

In Luke 17: 26 - 29 Christ says,  
“Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man.  People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.
    “It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all."

Are we eating and drinking and blindly carrying on with our lives as our world is heading for destruction?


Too bad that all the people who know how to run 
the country are busy driving taxicabs and cutting hair. 
                                           ~ George Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment