Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Feedback

I wanted to stay away from writing about mental health issues. I thought my rant yesterday communicated that but I haven't escaped that topic yet.

I received some interesting email responses to yesterday's post. The dominant messages were:
  1. Attitudes and understanding have improved over the last few decades.
  2. Don't stop advocating and speaking up. Don't stop educating people and fighting for those who are dealing with mental illness, and trying to overcome the discrimination inherent in the stigma.
There were other suggestions and encouragements. I appreciate the responses.

Attitudes have changed and I feel a sense of relief and gratitude whenever I come across evidence of positive change.

In the midst of  the inflammatory comments by both elements of the media and ignorant prejudicial responses of some of the readers and viewers I came across a balanced, rational column. I'll let the columnist have the last word. Perhaps this message will offset some of the entrenched negative attitudes and beliefs. Tomorrow I hope to begin writing about topics other than mental health.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/just-treatment-for-mentally-ill-offenders-an-old-idea-154388135.html

No comments:

Post a Comment