Thursday, September 8, 2011

Slow Down and Breathe.

I have no energy today.

I got up early, showered, got dressed and got on my bicycle and rode downtown. My doctor wanted me to get some blood tests done, and I didn't want to sit in a waiting room at a lab waiting for my turn to get blood drawn. I got to the lab shortly after 7:30 a.m. Less than 20 minutes later I was back on my bike heading home. I took a bit of a detour but got home well before 9 a.m.

I feel drained today; and not just of a couple of vials of blood. My body feels sluggish, my brain seems to be a little foggy. I need to take a break today.

The past few weeks have been very good. I felt energized, alert, driven. That's just not there today. That's a sign I need to slow down a bit and breathe.

Over the many years of living with depression and anxiety disorder I have gone through many cycles of highs and lows. I've gradually learned to pay attention to what my body is telling me. If I ignore the message that my energy tank is getting dry and carry on at the pace I had been living, the inevitable low will be significantly deeper and take longer to climb out of.

So today is a day of rest. I'll put my feet up, talk to God a bit, catch some zzzzz's, watch a little Dr Who, do some light reading, and see if I can stay awake for the season-opening NFL game this evening.

Tomorrow is another day. Hopefully I'll have more energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment