Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ridiculous Reality

How's my mental health today?

I'm not sure how significant that is today. I have other things on my mind.

Primarily, my viola. I'm trying to sell it and am not sure how I want to go about it.

I bought the instrument when I was studying at the Academy of Music and Theatre in Hanover, Germany in 1973-74. It became my major instrument in my pursuit of a career in classical music. That never panned out, due in large part to the instability of my mental health.

Now it's time to sell it.  I can't remember the last time I played the thing. Somebody else might as well have it, especially if they're going to make better use of it than I do. I sold my violin last week because it was also just sitting around collecting dust.

Our church is raising funds to purchase a building. Selling the instruments will give me some funds to contribute to the cause.

I'm trying to decide how to best go about selling the viola. I'm reluctant to sell it myself because my sentimental attachment to it makes pricing a challenge. I also don't know how well it would work trying to sell it because any interested buyer would want to try it out and I don't have a bow for it. Do I let a stranger take it home with them for a few days to see if they like it? Could I trust them with it? Do I contact music stores to see if they would be interested in buying it - I won't get as much  as I might if I sold it myself. Do I go the very easy route of just pawning it? Then I'll really get a low return. This sucks!

I've called a few people to get ideas from them. Now I have to wait for them to call me back. It's a good thing I don't have other plans for the day.

Hopefully I can get rid of the viola very soon.Then I can move on to other things.

I can't believe how much this is stressing me. Maybe my mental health is becoming an issue here?

It's ridiculous, but it's my reality.




No comments:

Post a Comment