Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Variations on a Theme

How's my mental health today?


I feel pretty good. My mood seems more stable even though the music keeps spinning in my head. I'm having fun with this.


When I took violin lessons (many years ago) I was assigned many pieces called 'Variations on a theme' to practice. They were usually the result of a composer taking a theme from another composer's  composition and playing with it. Apparently, many composers accepted this practice as being honoured by their contemporaries.

I've entertained myself  with a lot of more recent 'Variations on a Theme'. Music purists are likely aghast at these 'sacreligios' renditions and distortions of well known, highly valued classical works. I like them; they're creative, intriguing; sometimes brilliant; occasionally hilarious; and at times spell binding.


If you enjoy this kind of thing, or are even a little bit curious, take the time to check out the three links below. The first one is a recording of Mozart's ' Eine Kleine Nacht Musik' followed by Peter Schickele's spoof, 'Eine Kleine Nichtmusik'. The third is a comedic rendition by the Mozart Group, a string quartet from Poland, entitled 'Eine Kleine Weltmusik'. (Click on the tan coloured titles for the link).


I showed these to my kids and they howled with laughter. Maybe your day will be brightened from watching these 3 very different renditions. (Note: this will take a fair bit of time but I think it's worth it!)

Eine Kleine Nachtmusik  (A Little Night Music)

Eine Kleine Nichtmusik  (A Little Not Music)

Eine Kleine Weltmusik  (A Little World Music)



There are no days in life so memorable as those 
which vibrated to some stroke of the imagination.   
- Ralph Waldo Emerson



Comments?



No comments:

Post a Comment