Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Who's In Control?

How`s my mental health today?

Ask me later in the day.

Yesterday Heidi and I were once again reminded that there is someone much greater and powerful than ourselves looking out for us.

We've known for a while that our car was approaching its doom rapidly. Late last week I noticed that our Toyota was having some steering issues so I booked an appointment at the service garage for first thing Monday morning.

I dropped the car off and walked home (a little exercise to start the day). When I got home I decided it was time to start working on our income taxes. I pulled all the necessary papers together, installed the new software on my computer, and began entering data.

Less than an hour after beginning work on the taxes the telephone rang. It was the garage.

"It's time to buy a different car."

That was not what I wanted to hear. The service technician started listing the problems and told me it was going to cost more than I could get out of the car. He hadn't done any  specific research into costs so I asked him to do some digging and provide me with some concrete numbers and call me back.

I turned back to our taxes. I completed them as best I could (we're still waiting for one receipt from our bank). The numbers looked very good - in fact they were good enough for us to buy another car. I called Heidi at work but she didn't answer so I left a message.

Two weeks ago Heidi told me her son Kent had told her he wanted to buy himself a truck again, and he was thinking he would sell us his car when ours died. I called him on his cellphone but had to leave another message.

Heidi was the first to call back. I told her the news from the garage, the results of my tax calculations, and that I was waiting for a phone call from Kent. We both remarked on how things work out for us so often. A need comes up and the resources to fill the need appear at almost the same time. God is looking after us.

I called the garage back, got the little bit of cost information they had nailed down and told them to forget it - I'd pick the car up later in the afternoon. Kent returned my call shortly after that.

Bottom line:
  • Our Toyota is on its very last legs.
  • Kent has a line on a truck.
  • We have money coming to us from our Government.
  • We may have a newer, more mechanically sound car within a week.
This wasn't how we had envisioned the start of this week - but we have no choice but to go with it. We just keep giving everything to God and let him carry us through.



Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31





No comments:

Post a Comment