Monday, January 2, 2012

Opportunities

How's my mental health today?

It's been better.

The week between Christmas and New Years day as well as early January have been difficult for me for many years now. My energy level drops to next  to nothing, my mood plummets, and I often end up with flu-like symptoms for several days. This year has been no exception.

Is there something I can do differently to avoid this annual depressive episode?

Other than try to force myself through and keep pushing to maintain a higher activity level I'm at a loss as to what I could do differently. The problem with pushing myself is that it usually only delays the inevitable, draining me of more energy resulting in a more severe crash when the energy runs out.

This time of year is one of reflection, evaluation, new and renewed resolve. It's a time of setting new goals, new hope and dreams. It's a time of fresh starts.

But is the changing of the calendar as significant as our culture makes it out to be?

We have the opportunity to reflect and evaluate at the end of every day and every undertaking. We can set new goals or get a fresh start every morning when we wake up. We have a chance to do better today than we did yesterday when we get out of bed and begin our morning routine.

I don't need to make resolutions to begin the new year. Even if I don't openly disclose it, I know how well I did or didn't do last year, last month, yesterday. I know what I need to do better or differently. I've known these things for many years. However, nothing will change unless I move beyond thinking, dreaming, hoping, and talking and actually start doing!

So what will I do in this coming year, or better yet, the day before me?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. 
Seize common occasions and make them great. 
Weak men wait for opportunities; 
strong men make them.
- Orison Swett Marden


 

1 comment:

  1. I too usually end up sick during this time of year. I also am looking for ways to avoid that. For myself, I think if I am able to be more prepared earlier in the year it might help. I haven't figured out how to do that yet, but am trying to start now for next year, while the season is still fresh in my mind.

    As for the reviewing the year, I actually like to use January and September as times to reflect and plan for the next few months. Doing that everyday is too overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete